About Kasargod

Sree Varadaraja Venkatramana Temple at Kasargod was established in 1772 AD, by Kasaragod Pattanashetty Family. This temple is located near  the Kasargod Railway station.

On the first step of the Simhasana in the sreekovil, is the main deity Sree Venkatramana (shila vigrah) and on the second step is the pancha loha idol of Venkatramana with Sree devi on the left and Bhoomi devi on the right.

The other Deities - Mahalaxmi, Hanumantha, Garuda and Maha Ganapati installed outside the Sreekovil.

Important Festivals

Foundation Day Prathista Vardhantyutsava - Phalguna Shuddha Saptami. Sankeerthana Saptaha - Margashira Shuddha Panchami to Dwadashi.


Established as a temporary structure  in 1772 AD, by Kasaragod Pattanashetty Family. A permanent structure was built and Punarprathistha was carried out in early 1799 A.D.   Arrangements were also made for permanent sevas at the temple and  the management was left to the priests. Due to internal conflicts among priests, the community took over the management in 1858. But, due to theft of the diety  in 1897-98 the temple was closed. It was re-established and  the present idols of Shri Venkatramana & Padmavati were consecrated by HH Srimad Varadendra Thirtha Swamiji in 1905. In 1910 the annual Bhajana Saptaha was started.

New Poojaris were appointed in 1913. The temple again got into difficulties due to fight amongst priests who claimed it as their property in 1913. The legal battle was waged upto 1930 when it was settled in favour of the community. After a fire in 1921 part of the temple was renovated. In 1935 Sukratheendra Mandir was built along with a community kitchen. A temple tank was also completed. The Venkatesha Mandir was built in 1946. In April 1952 it was decided to rectify the defects in the temple and re-consecrate  the five idols of the temple at the Holy hands of Srimat Sudheendra Thirtha Swamiji. The re-consecration took place on 29th March, 1954. In 1961 AD, the Golden jubilee of Sankeerthana Saptaha was celebrated and blessed by Srimat Sudhindra Tirtha Swamiji. A special feat of Shri Rama Nama Likhita Japayajna was held in connection with the golden jubilee in which the community members has transcribed Sri Rama Jay Rama Jay Jay Rama:  52 crore times on paper. In 1993, complete Renovation and Punarprathistha was performed by Srimat Raghavendra Tirtha Swamiji.

About Kasargod   click for Kasargod district map

The Muncipal town is situated on the banks of river Chandragiri. It has the confluence of several languages and culture where eight languages are spoken. The splendour of Kasaragod Saree comparable to that of Kanjeepuram is a cynosure of the market. Kasargod is the emporium of cash crops like Areacanut and Coconut. Malik-Deenar Juma Masjid, Mallikarjuna temple and Dolors Church are worshiping places of historical importance in Kasargod. The Mallikarjuna temple situated in the heart of the Kasargod town is famous for Yakshagana. This town is known for its large 17th century Chandragiri fort built by Sivappa Naik of Bedanore. Chandragiri lies three km south of Kasargod town. The longest railway tunnel in Kerala passes through Chandragiri Hills.