Sree Lakshminarayana Raghupati Temple, North Pallipuram
The temple originally belonged to the Koudinya Gotra Kamat family of Vypeen who were Ayurveda Practitioners. They migrated to Pallipuram in 1867 AD, after the large scale sea erosion in Azheekal. They carried with them the idol of Lakshmi Narayana, given to them by Sumathindra Tirtha Swamiji of Kashi Mutt and worshiped in their house. Later in 1881 AD, a temple was constructed and prathista was done.
Sri Bhuvanendra Tirtha, the 17th Pondiff of Kashi Mutt was born in this family in 1837 AD. He was initiated to Sanyasa in 1851 AD at the early age of 13 years. He too was proficient in Ayurveda. It was Swami Bhuvanedra Tirtha who handed over the management of the temple to the Kamath family under a deed executed in the year 1882 AD. However, Sri Ramachandra Kamath, a great Ayurveda Physician of the Kamat family, entrusted the management of the temple with its properties to Kashi mutt samsthan in 1980 AD. A branch of Kashi mutt samsthan was established here. The temple was renovated as ordained by Sri Sudheendra Tirtha Swamiji. He also did the puna-prathista and re-installation of the deity in 1991 AD. A community Hall Bhuvanendra Kalamandir on the left side of the temple was inaugurated on that occasion. A public hall for the devotees (Sudheendra Sabha Sadan) has been later constructed adjacent to the temple premises.
The temple has a five day long annual festival in the month of Magha.
More about Pallipuram
Pallippuram is an attraction for historians and pilgrims. The Pallippuram Fort built by the Portuguese in 1503 AD, is considered to be the first fort built in India by the Europeans. The hexagonal shaped fort has three storeys and is now a protected monument. The Dutch captured the fort in 1661 AD and sold it to the State of Travancore in 1789 AD.
church of Lady of Snow (which belongs to Diocese of Kottapuram) at Pallippuram is an
important pilgrim center of the Christians. In 1577 AD, the church was built in Portuguese
style. It is believed that when Tipu Sultan came from Mysore with his armours,
destroying the churches and all things made by the Portuguese, reached Pallippuram,
the nearby people gathered in the Church and prayed to Mother Mary. Then the place was
covered with fog and he retreated.
Pallipuram is reachable from Vypeen by bus. Vypeen is connected by ferry with Fort Cochin and Ernakulam. This place is often called North Pallipuram since there is another Pallipuram towards south of Cochin near Shertallai.