Location in
Google map


This temple was established in 1900 AD at Chennamangalam (earlier known as Jayantha mangalam), 42 km from Ernakulam, 22 km from Alwaye and 5 km from North Parur. The main deity is Venugopalakrishna Swamy

The main idol is Shila Vigrah of  Venugopalakrishna Swamy. There is also an Utsav idol of the Lord and the  idols of Garuda and Hanuman at His feet.

The temple celebrates six day long annual festival in the month of Vaisakh. This temple is an attraction in Chennamangalam.

Temple gopuram - view from Road

Temple - an old pic

Temple building - an old pic

Srikovil idols                    Utsav idol

Temple History

Those GSBs settled in Cochin spread to neighbouring suburbs and villages. Some families came and settled in Chennamangalam. Since they did not have any place of worship in the village, they had to visit the nearest temple at North Parur by foot for spiritual needs. However, many felt that they should have a temple of their own at Chennamangalam. So they joined together under Chennoth parambil Sri Dasa Prabhu and started efforts to establish a temple. They approached the Paliayam Valiyachan of the Paliyam Swaroopam and requested for help. He donated the land for construction of temple. With the liberal donations from local mahajans, the temple was constructed and the Pratishta made on 30-4-1900. Twelve community members under the leadership of Chennoth parambil Ramachandra Prabhu started a Chitty in 1920. The generated profit was used to acquire land for the temple to meet the daily expenses. Later in 1956 the children of Chennoth parambil Sri Dasa Prabhu formed an Endowment Trust in his name and donated 10 Acres of land and Rs. 65000 to temple on behalf of the trust. In due course necessary constructions like Agrasala, Anapandal etc. were made. The temple was renovated in 1995 and the Srikovil was covered with Copper plate.

Srimat Sudheendra Tirtha Swamiji had his Chaturmasya Vrita at this temple  in 1973. At present there are about 100 GSB families in Chennamangalam.

Sub temples

There are sub-temples of Ganapati, Rajagopala swamy (with Rukmini and Satyabhama) and Nagaraja inside the main temple.

chenm23.jpg (2630 bytes)
Rajagopala Krishna

chenm24.jpg (5079 bytes)

Nagaraja Temple

Centenary celebration 2000

Decorated main gopuram

The centenary of Prathista was celebrated in 2000 AD in the presence of Srimat Sudheendra Tirtha and Srimat Raghavendra Tirtha on 09-04-2000. To commemorate the occasion a Sahasrakalasa Abhishegom was performed by Swamiji.

Sahasra Kalasa Abhishegom by Swamiji =>

More about Chennamangalam

Chennamangalam is a tourist and pilgrim center. It presents a rare geographical combination of river, seven inlets, a hillock and vast expense of green plains. The place is surrounded by rivers on all 3 sides where Periyar and the Chalakudy Rivers meet. Chennamangalam was the abode of the famous Achans of Paliam who were hereditary prime ministers to the Raja of Cochin. There is a hillock 100 feet high at this place.  At the base of the hillock on which the temple stands, there is a mosque, a church and a Jewish synagogue all closely located next to each other within 500 meters.

The Kottayil temple
The Kottayil temple

Paliath swaroopam


The Jews came and settled here fearing Portuguese attacks in the 15th century. They were a business community. The market place behind the synagogue was famous for trade due to its proximity to the river Periyar. The road in between the synagogue and mosque was called Jews Street. The Jews later migrated to Jerusalem.


<< Jews synagogue 


The Jesuit missionaries built a church here nearly 1,500 years ago. The well in the churchyard is believed to have an entrance to Tipu's fort. Remnants of the famous seminary of Vaippincotta, (estd. 1584) constructed by the Jesuits, for the training of syrian clergy, can be seen in the premises of the ancient Syrian Catholic church here. The historical remnants are preserved by the archaeological department of the Central Government of India. A printing press started here by the Jesuits in the 16th century was damaged during Tipu's `Padayottam' . It was here that printing first began in Kerala in 1577.

Another attraction of the place is the Malavana para made up of boulders lying one over the other resembling an elephant from distance. Chennamangalam is an important center for handloom weaving and coir making. Presently there are frequent bus services from Ernakulam to Chennamangalam.


Temple details and Photos courtesy: Centenary souvenir April 2000 SVKS Devaswom Chennamangalam