Location: Ernakulam Tirumala Devaswom Temple, Panchaabjapuram, T.D.Road, Ernakulam, Cochin, Kerala, India. PIN: 682 035

Phone: 0484 2361395, 2369637, 3042872

Email: N/A


Sree Venkatachalapathy Tirumala Temple, Ernakulam is one of the most progressive temple of GSBs in Kerala. The temple was established in 1727 AD. by Devaresa Prabhu. The main deity here is the Shri Ventachalapathy. The idol orginally was the Kuladevata of Sri Dhamodhara Achari who migrated from Goa.

Devatha & Upadevatha

The Main Deity in this temple is Shree Venkatachalapathy. There are Sub Temples of Mahalakshmi, Hanuman, Mahaganapathy, Garuda and Yakshi here.


The Name Enchikammel

Eight of the families who migrated from Goa, settled in Ernakulam. Shri Dhamodhara Achari was one among them who has brought his Kuladevata Shri Venkatachalapathy and worshipped in his house. Later the eight families wanted to establish a temple for this idol at this place. They approached the local chieftains (the five Kaimal families) to give them land for this purpose. The five Kaimals were locally called 'Anchu Kaimal' (Anchu means five in Malayalam) and the present Ernakulam was called 'Anchu Kaimal' area in those days. Even today in local Konkanis the place is referred as Enchikammel.

Past of the Temple

The prominent among the Kaimals Sri Cheranallur Kartha donated about 2 acres of land for construction of the temple. A small temple was constructed and the idol was installed there in 1727 A.D along with a Ganapathy idol. The Cochin Tirumala Devaswom donated two idols for worship to this temple. Later the temple was expanded and the Agrasalas were constructed and the Second Prathistra in the renovated temple was done in 1780 AD. The Dwaja Prathista (flag post) was erected in 1823 AD. When Sri Dasa Prabhu was the Devaswom administrator, he ignored the committee (Yogakkars) and in conflict deposited keys of the temple in Cochin Tirumala Devaswom in 1829 AD. Thus, the temple came under the administration of Cochin Tirumala Devaswom and the cold war started between the Cochin and Ernakulam members. The community in Ernakulam objected to the administration of Cochin Tirumala Devaswom, and declared independence. In 1877 AD, the governance was handed over back to members in Ernakulam. The temple was again renovated and prathista mahotsav was conducted in 1897 AD.

Progress Of the Temple

The 250th year of the first Prathista was celebrated in 1977 AD and an attractive Gopuram was constructed in front of the temple at the entrance from the TD Road to commemorate this occasion. The Gopuram was inagurated by Srimad Sudheendra Thirtha Swamiji of Kashi mutt on 15 Jan 1977.

The temple tank is at just outside the main temple on the left side of the entrance Gopuram. The Arattu mandapam at the center of the tank is for taking the Lord for Snanam or Bath on the last day of the Annual temple festival.

Most of the Agrasalas has now been transformed into muti-storied buildings and the temple has been fully roofed. The temple is under the Ernakulam Tirumala Devaswom. This is one of the most progressive gsb temple in Kerala.


The templs has a number of Vahanas - Garuda, Aswa, Chandra, Iravatha and Sesha vahanas along with wooden & silver palanquins and a new golden palanquin is under construction. The temple is also famous for its Pushpaka Vimana Vahana.

Arratu Mahotsavam

The Temple celebrates a 8 day Arratu Mahotsavam.It is usually during the January - February month.

Map & Location